Roger W. Herne


(November 21, 1935-January 29, 1973)


Norwood--Roger W. Herne, 37, Norwood, was pronounced dead on arrival at the Potsdam Hospital at 4:45 p.m. Monday, January 29, 1973 by Dr. John Austin, who was appointed coroner’s physician by Coroner David E. Donaldson of Massena.

Mr. Herne was stricken while at work at Nekoosa-Edwards Paper Co. Inc., mill at Unionville, between Potsdam and Norwood. He was taken to the hospital by the Potsdam Rescue Squad.

According to the St. Lawrence County Sheriff’s office, Mr. Herne had shut off his machine for a change, and had spoken to a fellow worker who worked around a corner from his machine. According to t he Sheriff’s report, the co-worker reported that Herne turned and returned to his machine. When he did not hear the machine start he investigated and found Herne lying on the floor. The Rescue Squad was called and the coroner who said that he then called the Sheriff’s Department and notified Sgt. Keith Knowlton of the death. Deputy James Wing investigated.

Coroner Donaldson said that the autopsy, performed by Dr. Pedro Co, assistant county pathologist, at the Buck Funeral Home, Norwood, showed death was caused by acute coronary thrombosis. The coroner issued a verdict of natural death.

Reportedly, Mr. Herne had previously suffered a heart condition and was a patient at Massena Memorial Hospital two weeks ago.

The funeral was held Thursday at 9 a.m., at St. Andrews Church in Norwood with the Rev. John Wiley officiating. A spring burial will be in Calvary Cemetery.

Mr. Herne is survived by his wife; his mother, three brothers, Leon of Rochester, Lawrence of Norwood and Robert of Norwood; three sisters Mrs. Fabian (Reba) Degon of Malone; Mrs. Ronald (Lois) Gooshaw of Norfolk, Mrs. Stanley (Sheila) Farmer of Norwood; two half sisters, Mrs. Ernest (Clare) Henderson of Moira and Mrs. Sherwood (Harriet) Shorey of North Syracuse, and one daughter, Michele at home.

Mr. Herne was born in Potsdam on Nov. 21, 1935, the son of Lewis Herne and Liola McDonald Herne. He spent his early life in the Norfolk area and was educated in Norwood-Norfolk Schools. He married the former Kathryn Bellenger. In October of 1972 he moved to Norwood.

He was a veteran of the Korean conflict, a member of St. Andrew’s Church and a member of the Norfolk Fire Department.


(Original source of obituary unknown; obituary provided by Pauline Deshaies).