(Most of the information below has been provided by Leon Burnap, town of Norfolk historian, and volunteers Clark Warner, Ann Todd, Judy Huczel, Marcia Wing, and Joe Gauthier. Also to Mr. and Mrs. Paul LaDue, thanks for your assistance in uncovering many stones hidden by brush and trees. Thanks to everyone for the sharing of this information!)
The Raymondville Cemetery
In 1813 Erastus Hall gave land for a church, a cemetery and a school. This is the oldest cemetery in the town of Norfolk.
Eben Judson, who died in 1814 was the first early settler to die in Norfolk, and was buried on his own land. However, later his remains were moved to this cemetery.
Early dates on stones are Elizabeth Winslow, died in 1822, Henry Blanchard in 1824, Sally Winslow, 1825, and Salmon Bixby, 1826.
The cemetery is located at the intersection of state highway 56 and the Grantville Road. (There are at least seventy Grants in this cemetery, four having served in the Civil War)! The cemetery is behind the old school (now in a run-down condition--Nov. 2010), and the Raymondville Methodist Church, and access to the cemetery is via a roadway between the two buildings. The cemetery is in three sections, with the latest section being the "Joy Lot". The numbering of the lots is somewhat unusual with odd numbered lots to the north, the even numbered lots to the south, and the Joy lots farthest south, with these numbers having "JL" noted at the end of the lot number in the census.
The stone census includes photos of the stones (click on the Last Name), and obituaries when available (click on the Given Name. ) Obituaries are in the process of being added.
Raymondville Cemetery Assn. in 1965
The William Douglass Homestead