Norton Cemetery is located on State Highway 68 approximately 3.5 miles from Canton heading towards Ogdensburg. The cemetery is 2.8 miles beyond the entrance to SUNY Canton College. The cemetery is located on the Canton 7.5 minute topographical map and the coordinates are 44 37 21 North and 075 13 52 West.
There are approximately 180 to 200 burials in this cemetery, with the first burial found being September 3, 1807--Mrs. Lucy Hyde, and the last burial Lenora Norton Morgan, August 8, 1994. This cemetery is a very attractive cemetery with most of the stones in very good shape. There were about ten stones out of 180 that were unreadable. (Nov. 2000).
There also is an excerpt taken from Everts 1878 "St. Lawrence County History" regarding the Norton family.
There appears to be two Revolutionary War soldiers buried here. A John Kilburn, "formerly of Shrewsbury, Vt. Died Aug. 11, 1847, Ae 83 years". There is a Revolutionary War plaque next to his stone. Also, from the Evert's biographical sketch on Orville Norton, it appears that Orville's father, Elihu was also a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and came here from Middlebury, Vt.
Norton Cemetery Stone Census
Norton Cemetery Photos
Back To Cemetery Index